12 New Plays in 2020
In 2020, Cardiac Theatre in partnership with What It Is Productions will present The Alberta Queer Calendar Project: a full-year, January to December endeavour that will see the commission of 12 new plays by queer Albertan writers – one for each month of the year.
Every month a team of artists will assemble to workshop, rehearse, and record each new work in the form of a radioplay, so plays may be accessed from anywhere. Our mission: to cultivate work from a cross-section of diverse, queer, Albertan talent and broadcast it to the world.
Interested in submitting? Read on!
- A Queer identifying writer
- In any stage of your life/career
- A current resident of Alberta (or former resident with heartstrings here)*
*The focus of this project is showcasing queer writers currently living/working in Alberta. That said, we know many folks no longer living here have strong ties to this place (and perhaps a complicated relationship with our province), so we encourage Albertans living elsewhere to submit as well.
- Producers: Jessica Glover, Harley Morison & Liam Salmon.
- Cardiac Theatre: An Alberta-based independent theatre company with big heart.
- What It Is Productions: A team of audio production experts with a passion for theatre and creating conversation about arts and artists.
- Project Mentor Darrin Hagen: Award-winning playwright, composer, author, and drag artiste.
- Project Sponsors: Downstage, The Nextfest Arts Co., SkirtsAfire Festival, Theatre Outré (and more to come!) – The fabulous organizations sponsoring this project, who will “host” one of the calendar months and its corresponding writer.
What we can offer:
- A writing workshop in 2019.
- A recorded and engineered podcast of a reading of your work.
- An honorarium of $300
- Should have the ability to be presented in a radio play format (stage directions that need to be read are okay!).
- Is at any stage of conception, new or existing.
- Is minimum 30 minutes in length, and preferably not longer than 2 hours.
- Is in a form that is primarily dramatic.
- Will be ready for rehearsal/public production in 2020 (at a month agreed upon by the writer and producers).
- Is not restricted to amount of characters in a piece, but should keep in mind a maximum of 4 performers (doubling is okay!).
- Does not have to feature “queer content” – write what you want to write!
Your submission will include:
- Basic information: name, age, location, pronouns, and a copy of your CV (or other written summary of your theatre/writing/artist experience).
- A cover letter describing your interest in the Alberta Queer Calendar Project, and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- A description of your proposed play.
- A writing sample (does not have to be from the play/play idea you are submitting!).
Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2019.
Questions? Musings? Things that need to be brought to our attention? Get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Check back to this page for updates throughout 2019. The Alberta Queer Calendar Project will launch in January, 2020.
Alberta Queer Calendar Project Sponsors
The Alberta Queer Calendar Project is Supported By
Theatre Engaging Communities Grant